Travel Diaries: Lost Hand Carry in Osaka & Lost Stroller in Hong Kong

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Japan is truly an amazing place.

I am constantly in awe of their country, the sights, the cleanliness, the helpfulness and everything Japanese.

A few months ago, we went to Osaka.  As with every trip, I bring a trolley type hand carry for Kailee's things.  In it were jackets (since it was still cool during April-May) water, milk bottle, snacks, books, medicines and extra clothes.

When we arrived in Osaka - we decided immediately to visit Rinku Premium Outlets.  We decided on this because the area was nearest to the airport.  We didn't want to go back and forth - we felt that it was a waste of time.  So to kill the curiosity of the outlet - we hit it right after we landed.  The Japanese made everything convenient.  They had a shuttle bus that travelled to and from the Airport to Rinku Outlets.  Since my Panget, Kailee and I had 2 bags between us - I was in charge of Kailee's stroller (which she uses) and the hand carry.  Within 15 minutes we were at the Rinku Outlets.  So we dropped our luggages off at the lockers area and walked around to see what was available.

There were a LOT of shops actually - there was a Gap, Coach, New Balance, Nike, Adidas, a Lego store and more.  Click here for the complete listing of the brands available.  After an hour or so, we decided to go back to the hotel since it was getting late.  We didn't want to wait for it to get dark before heading to the hotel.  Since it was a foreign land - sunlight is our friend.  And so we walked - about 10 minutes to reach the train station.

Their train station is very organized - there were timetables to somehow know how long it will take for you to reach your intended destination.  I was told by friends that there were 2 trains to take to Namba - one is the Rapi:t and the Rapi:t Limited Express.  So I parked the stroller and my hand carry infront of the counter, told my Panget and my friend Selene to just stay there while I talk and ask which train to take.  So I asked the attendant which was the fastest way - and he mentioned the Limited Express but,  we had to wait for another 20 minutes for that particular train to arrive.  He suggested that we take the next available train - I forgot what kind of train it was, but it had more stops.  It would reach the same destination at almost the same time.  I asked my Panget and he said that he wanted to leae NOW - so I bought tickets to the train that was leaving soon.  That soon was in less than 5 minutes.  The attendant called my attention and told me to hurry along as we might be left by the train.  You know if Japan, time is very important.  So I hurried along, got the stroller and pushed it towards the turn style.  WE had to ride the elevator up because we were with our luggages.  We were right in the nick of time.  We found seats and sat on them, waited and relaxed for a bit.  There were no luggage racks so we had to man our luggages.  It was not until the 3rd or 4th stop that I realized that my hand carry was missing!  Dammit!

I realized too late.  What ran through my head was the lost Avent Tempo bottle that Badet traded off with me.  It was so useful for traveling.  All the rest of the items in the bag were replaceable.  I was sad - but it was my fault.  I forgot it!  I guess, I was too excited.  So when we reached the Namba Station - I tried my luck - I knew that the Japanese had a hard time speaking in English, but still I tried.  I went to an attendant and he lead me to a counter.  There I was able to converse with an English speaking attendant, I told him my concern - that I left my luggage at the Rinku Station I gave the description and the contents.  He told me to wait as he called the Rinku Station office.  And I think after 5-10 minutes of waiting (that seemed like an hour!) they found my bag!!  I was told that they could pick it up, but then I pushed the envelope - I asked them if they could bring it to Namba Station - to where I was staying.  After a few minutes, I was given the thumbs up sign - it meant that they will bring the hand carry to Namba Station - I was told to go back at 8-9 in the evening.  I sighed with relief!!

So there - I got my hand carry back.  Thanks to the wonderful honest Japanese people and their hospitality.  I was so thankful and grateful!  I was in disbelief!  Imagine if that happened here in Manila - it would have been really lost or stolen.

This act of kindness - really made me love Japan even more!  This made me realize that there are still GOOD and HONEST people in the world.  Unfortunately, they don't live in the Philippines.  Sad.

So there - if you leave or lose something in Japan.  Know that you can still find it and you can still have it back!

Love love love Japan!!

This brings me to another thing that I almost lost.  I blame my brain - my early morning brain to be exact.  So last week, when we got to Hong Kong - we were waiting to board the Airport Express.  I was with Kailee - since I nearly lost our hand carry the previous trip, I made sure to remember to bring it along.  I was taking a mental note 'Do NOT forget the hand carry.  DO NOT lose it again!'  So I set it down near my feet with the stroller.  After settling down a bit - I was attending to Kailee's needs when I heard my Panget calling us - the train has arrived and we needed to board it.  So I was hurrying along and collected my things and Kailee - and headed on to board the train.  I put the hand carry by my side and waited till we reached Kowloon Station.  There, I led the way to the are where there was a FREE shuttle that would bring us to our hotel.  While waiting - I then remembered - THE STROLLER!  I looked for it and saw it nowhere.  Dammit!  I forgot something AGAIN!

To be honest - I knew that it was a long shot to find my stroller again.  I was in Hong KOng and not in Japan.  I knew that my chances were slim compared to my chances in Japan.  But still, I took a chance.  So I hurriedly went to the attendant's station to inform them that I left my stroller.  There was a language barrier of course, but I was expecting that in Hong Kong it would be easier - but it wasn't.  I had to use all the synonyms that I knew of a stroller!  I used the words 'pram' 'push chair' 'stroller' but they couldn't understand me.  I had to point to Kailee before they realized what I was talking about!  In Hong Kong the term was 'Child's Carriage' Haha!

But I was unsure if it was left on the train or on the platform!  So, I just asked them to look.  They called the airport station office and the train - to try and look for the stroller.  The attendant told me to sit and wait - and wait I did!  I think it was one of the longest 15minutes of my life.  Hahaha!!  I was then told that they found the stroller and that it was left on the platform of the airport express at the airport.  I asked them if they would be able to bring it to Kowloon Station - after a few minutes, they told me that it would take a longer time to bring it there - that I would need to pick it up myself. My first concern was that I needed to pay for the fare again - but they graciously told me 'No Pay!'  So I immediately took their offer to go back to the airport to retrieve the stroller.  I then instructed my Panget (who initially told me to leave the stroller behind- I refused because I'm sure we'd have a hard time when Kailee naps!) to go on ahead to the hotel and check in.  He was with two luggages and Kailee - I asked if he could manage and he gave me this sarcastic look.  Whatever!  So there, I was lead by the MTR personnel back to the platform going back to the airport.  It took 24 minutes to get back to the airport - and another 10minutes to retrieve my lost stroller.  So I again had to board the train to go back to Kowloon Station.  When I got there, I saw the people who helped me and I was so happy that I showed them the stroller!  I am in awe on their efficiency because again, if it happened here in the Philippines - it would have surely been lost, nor would anyone want to help me.  I was shocked to be honest - that in a place where rude people is a norm - I was able to find helpful people.  I was really lucky.

Yeah, I wasted an hour - but you see, my Panget was told to go back at 3PM to have our rooms.  So he just went around the mall with Kailee and Kailee dozed off in his arms.  At least he was smart enough to look for a place to sit!  When I got to them, Kailee was already asleep - we just had to transfer her onto the stroller - but within minutes, she was awake.

The stroller proved to be very helpful this trip and the last trip.  It was a life saver since all we needed to do was push it around while Kailee napped.

I need some work on my brain - to help me remember things.  Is this the effect of the anesthesia or is it part of the ageing process?  Hahahaha!!

I am so thankful to my guardian angels that the things I 'lost' during my travels - have come back to me.  Thank you Lord!

No comments :

Post a Comment